Sunday, October 12, 2014

Like Seeing Myself in the Mirror [feedly]



----
Like Seeing Myself in the Mirror
// Artist Daily

Drawing by Edward Schmidt.
Drawing by Edward Schmidt.

When I was the one in charge of my infant cousin, I would always scramble frantically for ways to keep him entertained. Toys, sounds, and funny faces—I tried everything. But the most memorable way I kept him happy was by plopping him in front of a mirror.

He'd move, and react to seeing himself move, and get excited, clap and chuckle, and then his eyes would get really big to see all that happen right in front of him and he'd get excited all over again.

I keep his reaction in mind as I constantly try to figure out how to draw people—getting to a place where drawing faces and expressions and body positions is exciting and interesting every time. Because it seems like a real shame that there are so many possible ways of drawing people and yet we often see or use only slight variations in a few poses over and over again.

We've got to learn to push the boundaries in our art, even if it means the final product isn't a resounding success. Don't get derailed by the idea of presenting perfection and symmetry. I put a much higher value on close inspection and drawing people as individuals. It is fun, real, and rewarding.

Marin by Elisabeth Ehmann, drawing.
Marin by Elisabeth Ehmann, drawing.
You learn a lot by exploring something new because you stretch yourself in new ways. I know I always get way more out of covering new ground than when I go through the same tired motions, even if it is a little more challenging. It feels good.

And drawing faces and figures with excitement and freshness of vision usually starts with knowing how to draw a person's form and features. Oil Painting Portraits the Easy Way, Watercolor Portraits the Easy Way and Pastel Portraits the Easy Way are a few of my favorite video guides and seem custom-made for this kind of artistic growth no matter the medium you work with. You'll find a professional portraitist's best advice, portrait know-how, the essentials on how to craft your skills, and inspiration from an artist whose work stands out for its uniqueness and point of view. Enjoy!

P.S. If you want to see a great demonstration of drawing the eyes, check out our newest free instructional video from artist David Kassan.

 


----

Shared via my feedly reader


Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment