Sunday, January 19, 2014

Small Figures [feedly]


 
 
Shared via feedly // published on Gurney Journey // visit site
Small Figures
About 35 years ago, when I was in art school, my buddies and I would take turns posing for each other in one minute costumed poses. 


In the series at the upper left I tried to capture the basic gesture of the folds of the costume using pencil and white gouache. At upper right is more of a tubular form emphasis, using just light and shadow and no outline.

In the middle row, I used a brush and ink to try to capture the black silhouette. In the bottom row, we moved the light around to the back and I tried drawing edge-lit silhouettes, where the light side becomes the paper color.

Drawing directly with the brush, I first drew the side away from the light before sorting out the complex lit side. This way of sketching gives a very photographic effect.



Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment